This website features Liz Azyan’s PhD research on local government and its citizen engagement online projects. A lot of focus has been looking into the role of social media in local government. This blog also was setup to keep up with relevant information regarding this topic and to network with other researchers and practitioners in the area. Liz is the marketing and the marketing and social media strategist at an Open Source Specialist company, Zaizi Ltd.
Since this blog was setup, Liz has had the opportunity to be invited, attend, speak at several conferences and traveled to the United States, Sweden, Barcelona, Scotland and all around England. She has also been a featured blogger at various government related blogs including Governing People, GovLoop, Jadu and Learning Pool’s blog.
Liz has also co-authored a paper on social media for local government for Socitm and also recently wrote a White Paper called “Government-to-citizens communications: Utilising multiple channels effectively.” Liz has also collaborated with several government bodies in areas of research relating to social media for local government, the NHS, e-democracy, higher education and many more. Her work and knowledge in social media and web 2.0 continues to grow and expand in many different sectors. Among those who have collaborated with Liz in her research include Jadu Ltd, Public Sector Forums Ltd., FutureGov Consultancy, Learning Pool Ltd., Public-i Group Ltd., GovDelivery Ltd., Socitm and Semantix Ltd. To find out more about Liz’s work, check out Liz’s Buzz and Liz’s Recommendations.
Liz Azyan (Doctoral Researcher – PhD, Royal Holloway, University of London) holds a Diploma in Computer Science, a 1st class BSc (Hons) degree in Business Computing (2003 – Best Student) both from MARA University of Technology (Malaysia) and a Distinction in MSc in Business Information Systems (2005) from Royal Holloway, University of London. Her research focuses on the use of ‘new social web’ tools to engage with citizens for local government. She runs a blog called “Local Government Engagement Online Research” at http://www.lgeoresearch.com which contains data on social media usage in local government, examples of local government’s online engagement as well as information on useful strategies and events.
A little bit of my background
Name: Liz Azyan
Date of Birth: 7th May 1979
Job: Social media strategist at Zaizi
PhD student at Royal Holloway, University of London in Egham, Surrey
Testimonials from previous employers and current supervisor: Contact details of references available upon request
To Whom It May Concern
17th July 2008
Re: Liz Azyan
I am happy to write a letter of reference for Liz. She has been a sub-warden at Royal Holloway for a year. In that time I have found Liz to be an excellent team player, an individual that can be relied upon to work hard, diligently and efficiently. She has been a pleasure to work with.
I recommend Liz to you with no reservations.
To Whom It May Concern:
10th July 2005
I have worked with Liz over the past 9 months and am extremely pleased with her performance. She has done an excellent job in conceptualizing, planning, designing, implementing and managing the following projects:-
• New Product Development – Liz was part of the core Product Management Team responsible for the launch of the 1st Wireless Broadband Access (using Navini’s SCDMA platform) in M’sia.
• Product Key Performance Indicators (KPI) – a project that required her to work with the relevant depts. consolidate a 50-page KPIs document e.g. Sales Report, Revenue Report from Finance, Quality Assurance Report from Customer Care, and Network Quality Report from O&M on a monthly basis.
• New Product Concept – Liz published a “Wireless Mobility Solution” concept paper. She had to mobilize the relevant resources to capture the SoHo users’ requirements as well as conducting primary/secondary research to substantiate her recommendations.
In addition, (Liz) was instrumental in developing the needs of the organization by contributing ideas and solutions for technical/operational matters associated with a product /services launching.
Other characteristics that I wish to highlight to substantiate her profile are:
• Inquisitive mind
• Very discipline
• Great team player
• High level of integrity
• Great planner and executioner
• Very consistent and dependable
Judging from Liz’s accomplishments and motivation, I strongly believe that she will excel in her PhD endeavors.
To whom it may concern,
16th July 2008
I am pleased to write in support of Liz Azyan who is studying for a PhD in the School of Management at Royal Holloway, University of London.
Throughout her studies, Liz has been supervised by myself and another member of Academic Staff in the School who have specific research interests in the areas of Collaborative Working, Interaction Space Theory and Human Computer Interaction.
In this regards, Liz has been ideally placed to pursue her innovative research topic into Community Culture and informatics: A study of local e-government engagement online.
She is an exemplary student as evidenced by her performance both in her MSc and latterly her PhD study. She is also a popular and keen contributor to student life, supportive of her colleagues and would be an invaluable addition to your community.
I therefore recommend her without reservation and shall be happy to provide further information if you require.
- Doctoral Researcher/PhD candidate (current) in Technology & Information Management – Royal Holloway, University of London
- MSc in Business in Business Information Systems (Distinction) – Royal Holloway, University of London
- BSc (Hons) in Business Computing (1st Class Honours, Dean’s List 3 semesters in a row and Best Student 2003)
- Diploma in Computer Science
- High School (M’sia) Received School Certificate of Education (SPM – Grade 1)
- Non-academic posts: Prefectorial Board Discipline Leader, School Magazine (Sasteramas) Editor, Vice President of Taekwondo Club, Vice President of The Consumer Club, Blue Sport House Treasurer, Black Belt in WTF Taekwondo Association, Silver Medal (Middle Weight) for Sparring Event of MTA- MAGNUM MILO National Teen Taekwondo Championship, Treasurer of Silat Burung Putih Rajawali (Malay Martial Art) Club, Handball School Representative, School Speaker, Debater, Peer Counselor, National Teen Camp MAYBAN FINANCE/RTM 1995’ Best Participant
- Primary School and early childhood – M’sia & Canada
Previous Jobs/Work Experience
- Nestle HQ M’sia (Demand Planner Executive – Demand and Supply Planning)
- Time DotCom M’sia (Product Development Executive, Wireless Broadband Access – Involved in pioneering the first launch of WiMAX technology in Malaysia)
- Labcal M’sia Sdn Bhd (Now known as Cross Match)- Biometrics Security (Business Development Manager)
- Black Belt Taekwondo (1st Dan)
- As you can see from my previous jobs – I’m multi-skilled
- Used to (and still can) emcee for weddings and any other special event
- Used to recite poetry (haven’t done this for a while)
- I can play the piano, recorder & accordion
- Have quite a creative side, love decorating.. actually won best room in my halls during my uni years. Love to design cards, business cards, letterheads… really anything I can get my hands on.
- Use to play the Goalie in Handball (but I could play striker too!) and Volleyball
- I can ice skate and rollerblade
- Very Resourceful
- Never Gives Up!
- Background and understanding of both Eastern & Western culture